Butterflies are fascinating creatures, they are undoubtedly one of the most beautiful creatures on the planet. But every beautiful creature has its own nasty little secrets, the butterfly is no exception.
They are not any benevolent souls. There are darker shades behind those brighter wings. And the beauty you behold is an absolute deception.
Here are the top 10 shockingly surprising facts about butterflies that are far from the fairytale!
1. If a butterfly land or sits on you, it is not because it likes you or you are a pure soul with a positive aura. Actually, they land on you to feed themselves. Butterflies get attracted by the odor of your sweat and blood. They suck nutrients from your body surface that you hardly notice.
Butterflies suck nectar from flowers for nourishment and drink from puddles through a long proboscis for water. Butterflies do this, but flowers are not their only source of food. Human blood and sweat can also be their food, their proboscis is so negligible that you don’t feel when they feed off you.
2. Flowers alone do not provide enough sodium for butterflies, so they are attractive to salty things. Some species of butterfly are particularly attracted to human urine and for its sodium content. They even drink the tears of reptiles to get some much-needed sodium.
3. Some species feed off anything that has been discarded and rotten – including fruit, but more often poo and the flesh of dead animals and people. This behavior is called mud puddling. From mud puddling, the butterflies take salts, sugars, and proteins.
4. Some Butterflies are carnivorous. Some caterpillars kill for a living. The Harvest butterfly of North American lays its eggs on colonies of woolly aphids, and the caterpillars grow up snacking on the aphids, sometimes protecting themselves with the corpses of their victims.
5. The zebra longwing, Heliconius charithonia. It looks pretty innocent but hides the most disturbing secrets. They are cannibals in their caterpillar form. This means that they consume their own siblings.