The Earth is full of weird and amazing creatures. That’s why we have lined up these 101 weird animal facts for you to get a glimpse of the unseen animal kingdom. Our planet is home to 8.7 million species. And still, we have many undiscovered species waiting for us to discover. Researchers say that categorizing these species might take more than 1,000 years.
If we go by the stats, researchers say that we have identified only 14% of the total species present in the world. Out of this, only 9% live in the oceans, and 91% of them are terrestrial.
From our beloved household pets to exotic jungle animals to the majestic ocean dwellers there is still a lot to know about. So let’s discover some of the weirdest and wackiest facts about these glorious creatures.
There are thousands of wonderful and weird animal facts to inform about. We have managed to collect the best 101 weird animal facts that you might haven’t heard before.
Here are the 101 weird animal facts.
1. Sponges are the longest existing creatures on Earth. The oldest evidence of a sea sponge found was a fossil discovered in 2014 in a 760-million-year-old rock discovered in Namibia.
2. It is possible to hypnotize a frog by placing it on its back and gently stroking its stomach.
3. The male clownfish can change their sex into a female.
4. Copepods can jump at a rate of about half a meter per second. This incredible strength, relative to their size(1 t0 2 mm), makes them over ten times stronger than any other known species on the planet.
5. Tigers pee smells like buttered popcorn.
6. Rabbits Eat Their Own Poop.
7. Pufferfish’s poison Tetrodotoxin is 1,200 times more poisonous than cyanide and there is no known antidote.
8. Female ferrets die if they do not mate once they go into heat.
9. The blood in animals can have other colors like blue, green, yellow, purple, and even white/clear!
10. Cone snail’s harpoon strike is one of the quickest in the animal kingdom.
11. Rats laugh when being tickled. When stroked in certain body regions, the rodents emit high-pitched chirps.
See What Happens When You Tickle a Rat
12. Wombats poop is cube-shaped.
13. Cats don’t meow in order to communicate with one another, but rather to get attention from humans.
14. Cats can bark like dogs, all cats have to do is push air through their vocal cords with greater than normal force.
15. Studies suggest that rats and dogs can dream.
16. The largest recorded specimen of Lion’s Mane Jellyfish was measured in 1870 and had a bell with a diameter of 7 feet and tentacles around 120 ft long. This is longer than the average body of a blue whale.
17. Some chickens are born half male and half female.
18. A sea lion was the first non-human mammal to demonstrate that it can move to the rhythms of a song.
Watch a Sea lion keep a beat!
19. Some octopuses have three hearts, nine brains, and blue blood!
20. The Jacob Sheep is a multi-horned sheep that most commonly has four horns although they may have as few as two or as many as six.
21. Underneath the white fur, polar bears have black skin.
22. The Dung beetle is very strong. They’re able to push balls of animal poop that weigh more than 200 times their body weight.
23. The shortest living animal in the world is the Mayfly. Its entire lifespan is just 24hrs.
24. Komodo Dragons eat a lot, they eat about 80 percent of their own body weight in a single meal.
25. Mantis shrimps can punch at 50 miles per hour, an acceleration that’s faster than a .22-caliber bullet!
26. The Ayam Cemani chicken is entirely black including its beak, tongue, meat, bones, and internal organs.
27. Axolotl can regenerate not just its tail but also limbs, skin, and almost any other body part. It has the “superpower” of regenerating its limbs, spinal cord, heart, and even brain.
28. The zebra longwing butterflies are cannibals in their caterpillar form. This means that they consume their own siblings.
29. Dogs‘ sense of smell is about 100,000 times stronger than humans.
30. King Brown snakes squeeze out the most venom about 1.3 grams of dry venom from a single milking.
31. Three-toed sloths are so slow that algae can actually grow on them.
32. Electric eels can transmit a shock between 600 and 800 Volts.
33. Elephants mourn their relatives and loved ones.
34. A pig’s orgasm can last up to 30 minutes, so lucky!.
35. Kangaroos can jump up to 27 feet in one hop.
36. Ringtail lemurs fight each other by their smell. The stinkiest one wins.
37. African elephants have the longest pregnancy of any mammal, which can last up to two years.
38. The largest giant squid ever found was a giant weighing nearly 2,000 pounds and measuring 59 feet in length.
39. A single strand of spider silk is thinner than human hair, but also five times stronger than steel of the same width.
40. Wild dolphins call each other by name.
Science Proves Dolphins Call Each Other by Name!
41. Some butterflies‘ caterpillars are poisonous enough to kill a cat.
42. Horses use facial expressions to communicate with each other.
43. Lungfish are the only fish that have both lungs and gills.
44. The Black mamba is responsible for an estimated 20,000 deaths each year. Also, it can slither up to 12.5 miles per hour.
45. The bat is the only mammal that can fly.
46. Ostrich’s legs are so powerful that their kicks can kill a lion.
47. Turritopsis dohrnii, also known as the immortal jellyfish is immortal. It can revert back to its child state after becoming sexually mature, and therefore never dies.
48. The pangolin is the world’s most poached and trafficked animal.
49. The Alpine Swift can fly continuously for over 6 months without touching down.
50. Some albatrosses are lesbians, a study find out that in one breeding area 31% of pairs were two females.
51. Some crows, ravens, and parrots are smarter than apes. They can use tools, solve puzzles, recognize faces, and even understand physics.
52. The only mammals to undergo menopause are elephants, humpback whales, and human females.
53. A group of owls is called a parliament. So the government is nothing but a group of owls making the decisions, just kidding.!
54. Also, a group of lemurs is called a conspiracy.
55. Wild chimps like to get high by drinking fermented palm sap which contains 3% alcohol.
56. Only the males are called Peacocks, females are peahens.
57. Some cats can be allergic to humans.
58. The Tardigrade or the water bear is a microscopic animal, it is the toughest creature in the world. These creatures can survive in the vacuum of space, gunshots, inside a volcano, and in an Antarctic lake nearly a mile underground.
59. Some turtles can breathe through their anus.
60. Chickens are called the “living descendants of dinosaurs.”
61. Cows poop up to 15 times a day, 115 pounds of manure per day, or approximately 21 tons per year.
62. If you just touch the golden poison dart frog it will kill you with its poison.
63. Cows kill more people than sharks. A number of people die annually from getting kicked or stepped on by a cow.
64. Zebras can’t sleep alone, they never sleep unless they know that another zebra is close by to guard them.
65. The male panda can have intercourse with a female over 40 times in a single afternoon.
66. Not only do fish sleep, they even suffer from insomnia as well. Many whales sleep deep under the sea in a vertical position and it appears as if they are standing still.
67. A hippo can open its mouth wide enough for a 4-foot-tall child to stand inside.
68. Cats can make more than 100 different sounds, while dogs only make around 10.
69. Cats have over 20 muscles to control their ears and can rotate them 180 degrees.
70. Unlike almost every other mammal, cats can’t taste sweetness. They’re also often lactose intolerant.
71. Scorpions glow in the dark. When illuminated by ultraviolet rays from a black light, they glow an unnatural neon blue color.
72. Dogs can only see yellow, blue, and gray colors.
73. Most of the giraffes are gay. A study suggests that 90 percent of giraffes are gay.
74. A blue whale’s tongue can weigh more than a female elephant.
75. Cougars plant over 90,000 plants every year by eating herbivorous animals with seeds in their stomach. They eat and poop spreading the seeds they ingest.
76. Mice can sense the sadness in other mice – and it makes them sad too.
77. Greyhounds are the fastest dogs, reaching 45 miles per hour.
78. Female dragonflies will fake their own death to avoid unwanted sexual advances.
79. The peregrine falcon can reach over 320 km/h (200 mph) when it hunts its prey making it the fastest bird in the world.
80. The kookaburra can laugh, sort of. Its laugh is a social behavior, if it’s held in captivity alone, it won’t laugh.
81. Owls can twist their heads 270 degrees.
82. Mantis are also cannibalistic. The adult female sometimes eats her mate just after—or even during the course of their three-hour mating session.
83. Many animals taste or drink a female’s urine to tell if they are ready to mate.
84. While mating up to 100 males can go after a single female red garter snake at the same time.
85. The male bowerbirds decorate their area with flowers, fruit, bones, and even beetle shells to attract females.
86. Male white front parrots vomit on females they want to mate with. They first start by kissing then their kissing ends with the male vomiting into the female’s mouth.
87. Beavers need to chew constantly because their teeth never stop growing their teeth grow around 4 feet a year.
88. If a chinchilla gets wet, it might never dry. Chinchilla fur is so dense that it rarely dries on its own.
89. Dogs can pretend to like television so they can be close to you.
90. The male Bee dies shortly after copulating because his reproductive organ and abdominal tissue are ripped from his body and left in the female.
91. Giraffes give birth standing up, which means the babies fall six feet to the ground when they’re born ouch!
92. Guinea pigs sleep with their eyes open. So don’t get frightened if a guinea pig stares at you for hours.
93. Arabian camels can drink 30 gallons of water in under 15 minutes.
94. Male seahorses get pregnant and give birth in their pouch.
96. A swarm of desert locusts can be as large as 460 square miles, and they consume 423 million pounds of foliage per day.
97. While mating, the male angler fish will fuse with the larger female. The body parts he doesn’t need anymore like eyes, fins, and internal organs.
Watch rare footage of angler fish mating.
98. Leeches have 32 brains, 10 stomachs, 9 pairs of testicles, 2 hearts, 300 teeth grouped in 3 jaws, and more than 2 pairs of eyes.
99. The herring fish communicate with each other through underwater sounds created through farting.
100. Female crickets do not produce sounds, only males make a chirping sound.
101. The most terrifying animal in the world is Humans. We can kill just about anything for comfort and survival. With over 7.5 billion people and counting, the human population is putting immense pressure on our planet.